This book tells the story of the historic events that shaped the Library of FAO. It starts with the International Institute of Agriculture (IIA), the predecessor of FAO, founded in 1905 in Rome by King Vittorio Emanuele III upon the initiative of David Lubin. When FAO was founded in 1945 it was quickly decided that it should become the custodian of the IIA and its Library, which at that time was one of the largest agricultural research collections in the world. The FAO Library was officially opened in Rome in 1952 and named the David Lubin Memorial Library in recognition of Lubin’s contribution to international cooperation in the field of agriculture. Over the last 65 years the Library has amassed its own collection, collecting and preserving each and every FAO document ever published. Today the David Lubin Memorial Library preserves one and a half million volumes, which together form the memory of FAO. Introduction -- ch. 1. David Lubin and the International Institute of Agriculture -- ch. 2. The Library of the International Institute of Agriculture -- ch. 3. The Foundation of the FAO Library -- ch. 4. The Treasures of the FAO Library -- ch. 5. The FAO Library Today.